Friday, September 11, 2026

Create put into practice

After putting the “create” ideas into practice, I could see how much more engaged my students were when they had the chance to use what they had learnt from a text. We read Bak Choy, and instead of just answering questions, the students chose to create a skit based on the part where Jacob fell into the water. They decided to recreate the scene by acting as different characters and interviewing the bystanders about what happened. I really enjoyed seeing the students take the text and make it their own. They had to think about what the characters may have said, how they would have reacted, and what information from the story they needed to include. It also gave them a chance to work together, share ideas and be creative. I noticed that some students who are usually quieter during reading discussions were much more involved when they were acting and creating. It showed me that students can sometimes demonstrate their understanding in ways that are different from simply writing answers. This has encouraged me to continue using more “create” activities in reading. I will still make sure the task has a clear purpose and is connected to the text, but I want to give students more opportunities to choose how they show what they understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment